Monday, February 20, 2012

Little Ears & KSBJ


Wanted to share what I wrote to KSBJ about Gage.

I am currently doing a bible/faith study called One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voscamp.  The book is basically Ann's journey to living fully right where she is---in the book she begins a gift list of all the things she is grateful for---from God.  She challenges herself to write 1000.  

I am also on this journey of writing down my gifts of gratitude to our Heavenly Father.  I have to say that writing down a continual list of gratitude really changes how you look at things.  It is impactful and I wanted to incorporate it into my children somehow.  So the last couple of weeks, on our 5 minute ride to school, we look outside our car and thank God for things we can see and things we can not see.  I have 3 boys and our typical wild ride to school has calmed down and is pretty exciting.  They have all said things that melt my heart and God's too, I'm sure.  The other morning, one of my 5 year old's (I have two), Gage, said a list of things he is thankful for that literally brought me to tears.  So in the spirit of my journaling, I grabbed my pen and wrote it down so I didn't forget.  This is what he said, "Thank you God for your love. Thank you for your peace. Thank you for the light in my heart (kind-of like the sun Mommy) and then he says---"Love can light up the darkness" REALLY???  

That day, I wrote in my journal #204 Grateful for my soulful 5 year old who is well beyond his years.  

Fast forward a week and we were on our way to church with some surprise passengers (my mom and her husband).  We don't see them very often.  I started telling them about my gratitude journal and what Gage said earlier in the week---(that I only remember because I wrote it down)---time has a funny way of making you forget.  Anyway, as I am telling them something to the effect of "Can you believe what my 5 year old said?" Gage hears what I said and he looks at me as serious and as a matter-of-fact as possible and says, "MOM, I hear that stuff on the radio ALL THE TIME!"

#241 - Thank you for KSBJ and their ministry that reaches little and big ears.
How could I not share this story with you?  Thank you so much for your ministry and all you do for this area.  I have listened to you for almost 10 years and God speaks to me all the time through the music you play.  89.3 is the only radio station that plays in my car, my boys sing the jingle K-S-B-J all the time.  They sing along with the music and it often melts my heart.  But seeing my 5 year old, turn words he had heard on the radio into PRAISE---humbles me to my knees.  Kids are always listening, whether we think they are or not, and I am so glad that your radio station offers me an opportunity to fill my kids with good.
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Blessings,
Tanni Gerwick

3 comments:

The Rypple Effect said...

That is a wonderful story that you will always look back on and smile. God bless the little ones and the ones filling them up with the word.

Laura Wilkinson said...

That is so awesome and precious, and wisdom for a new mommy. Thank you for sharing your sweet moment Tanni!

Mary said...

Oh, counting gifts is so wonderful, isn't it? And it's incredible how younger eyes always seem to see so much that older ones miss. Good radio stations are an incredible blessing, too - the ones that play music you don't have to feel guilty about listening to, the ones that encourage you, the ones that work praise into young hearts. Such grace! Thank you so much for sharing this story!