Friday, January 6, 2012

Full Circle Moment

We started a new tradition this year in the Gerwick household.  Thank you pinterest and the woman who came up with it---I tried to find her link, but could not find it---so please make sure she gets the credit for the fabulous idea. 
Anyway--I saw this on pinterest 2 days before December 1st so I was a tailspin to try to get it all together.  Keeping it real--I did not have the project fully complete prior to us starting so we did miss a couple of days.  I tried not to sweat it too much because the boys were having a blast.  

On to the project, basically we counted down the 25 days til Christmas by doing a Random Act of  Christmas Kindness each day.  We called it being "RACK'd".  Each day we would read a scripture and a task for the day.  In the beginning of the project, it was hard for the boys to understand that they were not going to get anything in return for their act of kindness.  I would explain that we were doing something, never expecting anything in return.  We were just sharing God's love by being kind.  I also explained that "what goes around comes around" as in...if you give out kindness in the world, kindness comes back to you.  When I was teaching them about kindness coming back you, I never expected it to come full circle.  It never.crossed.my.mind! (make sure to read all the way to the end of pictures)
The boys really got into the project and loved being able to do nice things for people.  They even started thinking up ways they could do a personal act of kindness on their own.  I was truly amazed at how much they started to look for ways to be kind.  I am super excited to do this again next year and will plan accordingly and creatively.    

Advent Calendar - 25 Days of Random Acts of Kindness

Each day had a scripture and task

Card we handed out when we did the RACK - this one pictured was "tape quarters to children's vending machines"

So here is our full circle moment---a couple of days after Christmas we went out to eat as a family.  We paid the bill and never looked back.  Almost a week passed, and I was packing up all the Christmas decorations and I noticed something taped on my window near the front door.  I saw an envelope that said "Happy New Year".  When I opened it, I saw some receipts and immediately thought one of Billy's old co-workers dropped something off for him.  I took it to him and he was unsure what it was so we clearly we needed to examine it a little further. We noticed a void on a receipt for the dinner we had almost a week ago.  The bill was almost $75 with tip and it was voided out, taped on our door with a happy new year & no name, I mean...really?!  As we started to process what had happened, we were in shock and also AMAZED.  Did this really just happen?  We just spent almost a month, doing random acts of kindness with our boys---NEVER expecting anything in return and here we were holding a voided receipt.  I can hardly explain how it made us feel, but it was pretty awesome--not only for us personally, but also because we know how all the people we touched felt when they received their RACK.

We have no clue who did this, but we thank you on so many levels.  
Happy New Year!

Voided Receipt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome that they voided out the amount! I truly believe in Karma and this one came around to your family! Love you Cuz!

Tara said...

Another great post, Tanni! I love this idea and will implement it with my girls, too. Thank you for sharing.

Bobbi Jo said...

Tanni, this is awesome!! I've always thought about doing this in the month of November...but love the 25 days of Christmas. I am going to make sure we do this next year. What an awesome life lesson for our girls. Life isn't always about US, but giving just a little means ALOT to others. Hope all is well. You made me smile (again) today. :) Bobbi Jo

Nanajo50 said...

Tanni, I've done this before and it is a wonderful feeling. I especially like doing it for the person behind me at a drive though. My Pastor brother encourages us to "pay it forward" several times a year. It's not because people are needy, it's because God does so much for so why not do something for others just because....

Sally said...

How awesome. I am going to do this next year too. A great example to teach your kids. Thanks Tanni!